Many in the printing industry have heard the term DTF being thrown around casually. Though a simple concept, it has become very popular for applications that are difficult to print on or shaped irregularly. Let’s look at DTF and how it is utilised in the UV printing industry.
What is UV DTF?
Direct to Film or DTF is a process that enables printing onto fabric or other substrates using a heat-press mechanism. DTF works on cotton and poly blends as well. DTF printers have gained prominence over the last few years because of its ability to print on almost any kind of surface and colour of fabric without the need for expensive A & B paper. UV DTF printing is an extension of this technology that also applies to hard material substrates such as glass, wood, metal, plastic, etc. UV DTF printing allows the print to be directly attached to the substrate without any additional processing.
UV DTF uses a UV LED flatbed printer and a laminating machine. It uses two kinds of films – PET film and DTF transfer film. Using UV colour ink the UV DTF printer provides the desired effect on non-traditional materials.
There are several benefits and uses of switching to a UV DTF Printer.
- Cost-Effective: The costs involved in the transportation and handling of the products and printing are substantially eliminated by switching to a UV DTF Printer. This reduces the overall cost of production, allowing a bigger margin for the enterprise and for the long-term growth of the enterprise.
- Time-Saving Process: Printing on non-traditional hard material substrates is challenging, time-consuming, and laborious. The UV DTF Printer reduces the time and man-power consumed in printing and makes it very convenient to print the finished product and directly paste the film on the required product.
- Printing on a reflective surface such as a mirror, or crystals are challenging as the UV light can easily be reflected back to the printheads and cure the UV inks on the head which result in clogging. With the DTF printing, images can be transferred to the reflective surface by the film.
- Brand Distinction: Being able to print the patterns in high quality on hard non-traditional materials such as water bottles, notebooks, glasses, etc., enterprises can paste their logos, which acts as a live and continuous advertisement. This also makes it easier for consumers to distinctly identify the enterprise.
- Option to Personalise & Customize: The UV DTF Printers can be used to create a personalized crystal label. Having upgraded on the UV Printers, it has adapted the characteristics of waterproof, light and wear resistance. It is easy to paste.
- Advanced Technology: The UV DTF Printer is a high-precision mechanical system with a stable board control system that allows for quality mass production.
UV DTF Printing Process
STEP 1: Print on A film
Design the graphics.
RIP the file.
Print on A film
(W first, then CMYK, V on top).
STEP 2: Laminate with B film
Laminate the A film with B film by laminator.
STEP 3: Cut and Remove A film
Cut out the prints.
Remover A film carefully.
STEP 4: Transfer prints on a product
Stick the prints directly on the objects.
Apply hand pressure.
Peel off the B film carefully.
Differences Between UV Printer and UV DTF Printer
Although developed on the basis of the UV Printer technology, there are several differences between the two.
- UV Printers print directly on substrates, whereas UV DTF printers first print on PET films and then attach to the substrates.
- UV DTF Printers can transfer on materials such as glass, wood, metal, leather, and acrylic, in addition to the materials UV Printers can print on.
- UV DTF Printers are used for substrates of all shapes and volumes.
UV DTF printing has multiple applications including glass, metal objects, leather, toys, t-shirts, phone cases and more. UV DTF prints can be applied on any material, and it is very easy to get prints on surfaces that are difficult to print on, especially if they are uneven or do not fit in the standard printer.
When it comes to UV printers for different applications, think of Apache printers. Our printers are made in Korea with the best quality control and a wide range of applications. To know more about our printers, check out our blog. Apache printers deliver in terms of efficiency and precision, your only worry would be to finalise the design, our printers will take care of your printing needs. Connect with us using the link and one of our technicians will contact you soon